Welcome to the History 402A "Introduction to Pubic History" guide for Fall 2022.
This guide is intended to supplement our in-person instruction session this semester, focusing on historical records to help learn more about the evolving communities that have lived in what is now Pio Pico State Historic Park and the surrounding area. If you have questions or need assistance, contact the Digital Literacy Librarian using the information listed on the right.
At the end of this semester's library instruction session, you will be able to:
- explain the difference between U.S. federal population census manuscript records and aggregated census data
- describe some of the types of information contained in U.S. census manuscript records over the decades
- analyze U.S. population census manuscript pages
- find U.S. population census manuscript records on FamilySearch for a particular state, county, and locality
- explain the purpose of Sanborn fire insurance maps
- find Sanborn maps on the Library of Congress website for a particular U.S. state, county, and locality
- explain why U.S. Sanborn maps might not be available online for a particular U.S. locality