University 100 students will be able to:
- Locate and describe the services and resources in the university library, including those available from the library home page.
- State a research question or problem, and identify keywords and concepts.
- Develop a search strategy.
- Select appropriate resources such as databases or research guides in order to locate relevant books, articles, and other materials.
- Critically evaluate information for relevancy, authority, objectivity, accuracy, and currency.
- Cite sources using a standard style.
- Apply the principles of academic integrity to the responsible use of information, including proper acknowledgement of sources used.
In order to promote the successful and gradual development of information literacy skills for UNIV 100 students, the use of assignments other than a traditional research paper is strongly recommended. The next section offers examples of alternative assignments that not only provide UNIV 100 students with an incremental approach towards the acquisition of information literacy skills, but also prepare them for future courses requiring a more formal research paper.