Internet archiving overview, tools, policies, and resources for California State University, Fullerton.
IIPC Video: Why Archive the Web?
Reasons to Archive the Web
Web archiving allows us to:
- Preserve a permanent, time-stamped copy of born-digital material, which is intrinsically susceptible to change or deletion
- Create permalinks (permanent hyperlinks) that avoid link rot in web pages and citations/bibliographies
- Protect scientific and public data from censorship
- Use machine-automated crawling to track website changes that are difficult for humans to detect
- Hold corporations and persons accountable for their published speech, such as on Twitter
- Plan responsibly for the preservation of soon-to-be deleted web sites, domains, faculty and student web projects, etc.
- Manage web server storage more efficiently by outsourcing the storage of past versions of web content
- Last Updated: Sep 5, 2018 2:26 PM
- URL: http://libraryguides.fullerton.edu/web_archiving
- Print Page