Open Access Week 2016
About the Event and Display
October 24 – 28, 2016 is Open Access Week and the Pollak Library is participating in this global event that focuses on Open Access as it relates to information and research.
The Open Access display in the Faculty Development Center (Pollak Library, 2nd floor south) highlights some of the recent articles published in Open Access journals by California State University, Fullerton faculty. It also recognizes faculty who were recipients of this year's Pollak Library Open Access Publication Fund. The exhibit includes information to learn more about the benefits of Open Access, publishing and funding opportunities, and ways to integrate Open Access into research and scholarship. An "Open Access Computer Station" continues to be made available to read the featured articles or to browse this Open Access LibGuide.
Librarians are also hosting at Open Access Jeopardy game at the following times and locations. Participants get prizes and are entered into drawings to win $25 gift certificates for Starbucks, Target, Aloha Java, or In-N-Out.
- Monday, October 24, Library 2nd Floor by FDC
- 9:30 – 10:15
- 10:15 – 11:00
- Tuesday, October 25, Library 2nd Floor by FDC
- 12:30 – 1:15
- 1:15 – 2:00
- Wednesday, October 26, Aloha Java
- 12:30 – 1:15
- 1:15 – 2:00
2016 CSUF Open Access Publishing Fund Award Recipients
2016 Open Access Week Exhibit: Featured CSUF Authors
Open Access Myths Debunked: Infographic Bibliography
In an effort to raise awareness about common misconceptions and myths regarding open access publishing, the Open Access Week display on the south side of the Pollak Library, second floor, contains an infographic called "Open Access: Myths Debunked." The following references were utilized in gathering data for this graphic for those who desire more information:
- Archambault, E.; Amyot, D.; Deschamps, P.; Nicol, A.; Provencher, F; Rebout, L; Roberge, G. (2014) Proportion of open access papers published in peer-reviewed journals at the European and world levels – 1996-2013. European Commission. Retrieved from http://science-metrix.com/files/science-metrix/publications/d_1.8_sm_ec_dg-rtd_proportion_oa_1996-2013_v11p.pdf
- Gargouri, Y., Larivière, V., Gingras, Y., Carr, L., & Harnad, S. (2012). Green and gold open access percentages and growth, by discipline. arXiv preprint arXiv:1206.3664. Retrieved from https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1206/1206.3664.pdf
- Morris, J. (2011) Open access myths: Busted! Boston College Libraries Newsletter. 12(3). Retrieved from http://www.bc.edu/libraries/newsletter/2011spring/openaccess/index.html
- OA by the numbers. (n.d.). In Open Access Directory. Retrieved October 27th, 2016, from http://oad.simmons.edu/oadwiki/OA_by_the_numbers
- SHERPA/RoMEO. (2016) RoMEO statistics. Retrieved from http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/statistics.php?la=en&fIDnum=|&mode=simple
- Suber, P. (2013) Open access: Six myths to put to rest [blog post]. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2013/oct/21/open-access-myths-peter-suber-harvard
- Suber, P. (2015) Open access overview [blog post]. Retrieved online from http://legacy.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/overview.htm
- Swan, A. (2010) The open access citation advantage: Studies and results to date. Retrieved from http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/268516/
- Van Noorden, R. (2013) Open access: The true cost of science publishing. Nature. 495(7442), 426-429. Retrieved from http://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/1.12676!/menu/main/topColumns/topLeftColumn/pdf/495426a.pdf
About the Curators & Contributors
Michelle Swadish chairs the Pollak Library Open Access Team (PLOAT), whose members include Mark Bilby, Anthony Davis, Moon Joo Kim, Lindsay O’Neill, Megan Wagner, and Greg Yorba.
Trish Campbell is the Exhibit Committee Chair and Program Coordinator in the Pollak Library.
- Last Updated: Dec 14, 2018 5:06 PM
- URL: https://libraryguides.fullerton.edu/open-access
- Print Page